The talented Smar is the chef at Okuti, her and rest of the kitchen team work tirelessly every day to produce the delicious and wholesome menu served at Camp. After completing her qualification at cooking school Smar joined the Ker & Downey Botswana family and has been with us for twelve years.
When Smar was asked what her favourite item on the menu is she answered “all of them are my favourites but I love making the different cakes for high tea, especially the coffee cake” Smar believes that anything is possible through teamwork, dedication and keeping a smile on your face at all times, no matter how stressful the situation is.
See below for Smar’s coffee cake recipe. The secret to this cake, she believes, is good quality fresh coffee at the right strength!
3 large eggs
1 cup (250ml) sugar
1/1/2 cups (375ml) cake flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
2 tsps. coffee dissolved in ½ cup (125ml) hot milk
3 Tbsp. sunflower oil
1 cup (250ml) cream
1 Tbsp. coffee powder dissolved in 1 Tbsp. hot water
2 Tbsp. castor sugar
1. Heat oven to 180C
2. Line & grease base and sides of cake tins with baking paper.
3. Beat eggs until light and frothy and then whisk in sugar until well combined.
4. Sift dry ingredients together and fold into the egg mixture.
5. Whisk in the hot milk, in which the coffee has been dissolved, and the oil.
6. Pour batter into the cake tins and bake for +/- 30 minutes.
7. Allow the cakes to stand for 5 – 10 minutes in the before removing them to a cooling rack.
8. Beat together the icing ingredients until stiff.
9. Sandwich the cooled cakes with icing and spread the rest of the icing on the top. Decorate with chocolate shavings